Wednesday 17 August 2011

Simple Brioche


Who doesn't like brioche? When it's warm and buttery and crusty and sweet. Mmmm! Unfortunately the brioche you get in the supermarkets far inferior to the stuff you can bake at home. It's not even that hard. You just need a bit of kneading, a bit of waiting and then boom - you've got your loaf. If I could I would make it every day I would. I'm making mine and planning to keep it stale for a Summer pudding but I don't think I'll be able to! When you're making the dough keep in mind it's meant to be a soft dough so if it starts off a bit runny just keep on kneading and it should come together. I use an electric mixer with the dough hook attached to knead but simply because I'm lazy and I can't be bothered to do it by hand. I got the brioche recipe from la Tartine Gourmande.

Makes 1 loaf
1 2/3 cups or 250g all-purpose flour
1tbsp of dried fast acting yeast
1/3 cup or 80 ml warm milk
2 tbsp fine sugar
2 3/4 oz or 80g softened butter, cut into small cubes
2 eggs
a little more milk and sugar for a glaze

1. Mix the flour and yeast together then make a well in the center, slowly pour the milk into the well and mix together. Add the sugar then knead in the softened butter a bit at a time until all incorporated. Add the eggs one at a time until the dough is smooth.

2. Knead for ten minutes then cover with clingfilm and put in a warm place, like an airing cupboard, for 2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size. Now knead the dough again for ten minutes and place in a well buttered 10 inch or 26 cm rectangular loaf tin and leave for another hour somewhere warm. Preheat the oven to 205 C or 400 F. Brush the loaf with the milk and sugar then place in the oven for ten minutes. After ten minutes turn the heat down to 350 F or 175 C and bake for 20 minutes. Test to see if it's cooked by inserting a knife and if it comes out clean it's done. 


No comments:

Post a Comment